|Position Description: *
||Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
The High Level:
The Development Director (DD) is part of a team of fundraisers and relationship builders working together to support Reading Partners’ strategic growth plan. The Development Director’s main roles are to create and implement the overarching regional fundraising strategy, lead cultivation and stewardship of many high level external relationships, and lead, develop, and mobilize a local development team to achieve ambitious fundraising goals. The Development Director directly manages a Development Manager and a VISTA Development Coordinator. Reporting directly to the Executive Director - Tulsa, the Development Director creatively develops, leads and drives ambitious fundraising strategy, board management in close partnership with the Executive Director, and new fundraising generation. As a trusted advisor and strategic thought partner to the Executive Director, the Development Director is a senior leader in the region who catalyzes regional growth as a resource mobilizer, as a fundraising and external relations expert, and as a savvy people leader and relationship builder.
What you’ll do:
Each year, create, lead, and drive overarching fundraising strategy, operational plans, and all revenue activities to meet or exceed fundraising goals for the region.
- Collaborate closely with Executive Director, and lead local 2-3 person team to raise at least $2,300,000 in FY16 through individual giving, corporate and foundation giving, government grants, and the fee-for-service from school partners. Focus specifically on individual, corporate, and foundation giving.
- Raise at least $1,400,000 in private revenue for FY16.
- Raise at least 20% of FY17 revenue in FY16 year.
- During FY16, create fundraising strategic plan for FY17-FY19.
Drive regional external relations and local brand.
- Support the building and managing of a highly invested board, and take a lead role in the development committee.
- Engage corporate partners in sponsoring reading centers.
- Develop, with the ED and board, a major fundraising event to engage multiple constituencies and raise a net of at least $75,000.
- Inspire stakeholders and drive partnerships, in collaboration with the community engagement team and ED that yield revenue and in-kind donations.
- Actively fundraise alongside others on the development team.
Lead local development team to meet ambitious goals by managing their own portfolios, and by executing excellent development operations.
- Track progress to goals and create contingency plans to address any potential gaps to goal.
- Build and maintain a high-functioning infrastructure for pipeline development and tracking, data management, giving trend analysis, grant reporting, and overall donor outreach and engagement.
- Strategically leverage the ED’s time and strategically engage the board to meet its aggressive fundraising targets.
- Collaborate with the community engagement team and ED to realize the full potential of the Volunteer Advisory Council.
- Plan and execute at least one major fundraising event.
How you’ll do it:
Strategic Planning: Demonstrate an ability to devise innovative regional strategic fundraising plans, create action steps, and mobilize many stakeholders to achieve fundraising goals. Build sustainable plans to maximize market opportunities, meet goals and significantly grow funding. In addition, leverage systems, people, and resources to drive processes and track progress against goals to report on progress to senior leadership and board. Execute work in a highly organized, analytical, and data-informed manner.
External Relations & Communication: Demonstrate advanced experience in external relations, board management and communication, and strategic stewardship and cultivation of donors. Deliver convincing messaging and demonstrate a genuine joy in connecting with donors, and all external stakeholders that reflects Reading Partners’ culture and values. Serve as an ambassador of Reading Partners. Quickly establish credibility when promoting Reading Partners to external audiences. Demonstrate a high degree of comfort and poise with donors, corporations, and prospects.
New Revenue Generation: Demonstrate a strong track record in driving development efforts in rapidly growing organizations particularly in Tulsa. Demonstrate ability to hit fundraising goals, generate new funding sources, and run sophisticated corporate and individual giving campaigns. Demonstrate success in cultivation. Show a strong hunger and drive to not only drive strategy internally, but also to heavily participate in external relationship building and fundraising.
People Leadership: Positively collaborate with, and lead an internal team to meet and exceed aggressive fundraising goals. Consistently coach, grow, and create stretch assignments to grow future fundraising leaders from within.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
Have 5+ years of increasing responsibility in a development or related role
Have successfully lead a team for at least 1 year
Are an exceptional and persuasive communicator in writing and verbally
Are achievement-oriented and have a demonstrated track record of achieving aggressive fundraising goals
Boast a deep belief in our mission
Root your work in our core values
Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
Bonus points if you:
Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
Have a high degree of comfort with Salesforce or other fundraising database
Have experience working in education or literacy
|To Apply for this Job: *
||What we offer:
Reading Partners offers the full package – great benefits, a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, salaried position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities, including an annual staff retreat in Oakland, CA.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role, along with your salary history for your past three roles.